Friday, 8 April 2011

Ring ouzel just up the road - Great lifer. Israel trip report coming!

Ring ouzel has long been my bogey bird, until last Monday. David Campbell sent a message on Saturday that a male had been seen at Canons Farm. I had just gone on a walking weekend in Sussex so I couldn't come back. The bird was still there on Sunday. Good. Would it. . . wouldn't it stay? Monday morning I arranged to pick David up at 6.15 and we went to the spot. Yes!!! There it was. A new lifer. Here is the best pic:


Male ring ouzel.

The previous Friday David rang with reports of a Leach's storm petrel near Reading. I'm not doing long distance twitching any more, but this wasn't too far so I agreed to go. I did wonder what a pelagic bird was doing at this time of year on a freshwater gravel pit,  and it was April 1st!! However it wasn't a hoax and here is the poor record shot to prove it.


Leach's storm petrel.

By the way, I am working on the pics of my recent Israel trip, but I have about 2,500 photos to go through so it will be a few days yet. Be patient and visit again.

3 comments:

  1. Finally a post! Nice pics and I'm very much looking forward to your Israel posts. I'm glad I found you your first Rouzel.

    see you tomorrow night

    David

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your back! Great!
    Well done on the Rouzel- a smart bird!
    (yes I know David found it but you had to see it!)
    Looking forward to your photo's from Israel.
    C

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, David and Corinna! Yes, I've not done a lot so far this year but I'm back in the saddle now. Best wishes, Phil.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome. Use this form to comment on any blog posting. You can also use this form to contact me if you are interested in any of the photos.