Saturday, 11 September 2010

Two British/life ticks are better than one!

After missing the Grove Ferry Wilson's phalarope yesterday, I went first for the Isabelline shrike at Gosport today. The weather was dull but the bird obliged on several occasions by coming out briefly. It was very like a brown shrike; just slightly paler.

















Isabelline shrike


After that, I just had to return to Grove where the phalarope had been seen. As I arrived, the pager said it was on the water meadow so I made haste to there. AAhhh!! It had only stayed a few minutes and had flown. I decided to stay there as the habitat looked good. After an hour or so it was seen at Harrison's Drove hide, a good 15 mins walk. Off we set hoping it would stick around. Hot and out of breath I arrived and it was still there with a green sandpiper in the far corner of the lake. Yesterday, that lake had been teeming with birds. Today there were just two birds!! The reeds were just a little high to get a clear picture so I jumped onto the roof of the hide where I had clear line of sight but it was still 150-175metres distant. Thank you the couple who helped me up and down with my gear. This poor record shot is all I could get from that distance:








Wilson's
phalarope

2 comments:

  1. Well done, Phil, a terrific couple of ticks. Not sure about climbing on the hide roof though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Graham. Two lifers in one day. Needs must when the devil drives! I was very careful on the roof. LOL.

    Best wishes,
    Phil.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome. Use this form to comment on any blog posting. You can also use this form to contact me if you are interested in any of the photos.