Monday 1 August 2011

Kingfishers at Sevenoaks. An anniversary present for Lynne.

Lynne likes kingfishers and hasn't seen one for 2 or 3 years. When we visited Sevenoaks wildlife reserve on Sunday we didn't see any. I thought the best way to see them was to come back as early as possible and wait.

We left at 06.20 this morning, which also happens to be our wedding anniversary. A lot was riding on this 'twitch'!! We were the first to arrive and went straight to the hide where I thought the kingfishers would come. Literally 2 minutes later I heard the familiar call and a few seconds later a kingfisher alighted on the post nearby, stayed for 3 or 4 seconds and flew off before I could get a shot!!

I set my camera up and expected to wait an hour or so for his next visit. 5 minutes later he re-appeared and I took a few shots before he dived in and came out with a small fish. This time he stuck around and shook the fishlet before swallowing it on the post. It couldn't have been better!! Lynne very pleased!

Here are the best of the shots.

Kingfisher with minnow
Kingfisher

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome. If you have a Google or Gmail account, use this form to comment on any blog posting. Comments are moderated first so there will be a short delay before they appear.